Thursday 7 July 2011

Tattoo Thursday!

I have come up with a new topic- Tattoo Thursday!! As you know, I LOVE tattoos! When I started to think about it, I was like, Hey alot of my friends have tattoos!! I would love to write blog entries about their experiences with tattoos and advice they would give to others thinking about getting inked! So, I have asked a few of my friends to help my out in the weeks to come but I thought I would start it off with myself!!
So here it goes!




Name: Megan

Age: 24

How old were you when you got your first tattoo: 18

Favorite Tattoo: It's really hard to choose, but I think it has to be the one on my rib cage. It says "Ever Thine, Ever Mine, Ever Ours".

Artist/Shop/Location: Danielle/ Sodalicious/ 550 Main St. Yarmouth, N.S

How many tattoos do you have: 4

Story behind each tattoo: I got my first tattoo when I was 18 with three of my friends. I was extremely nervous and decided to just get a simple star on the lower right side of my back. My first experience was not the greatest to say the least! The tattoo artist went too deep and it bled out :( It was really a mess. For awhile I decided not to get any more tattoos.
When I was 21, I got a new job and really wanted to celebrate it. I found out a girl I went to school with was starting her own tattoo business and knew she was crazy talented! So I made an appointment with her right away. She not only did an amazing job on the tiara on my ankle, but she fixed my star tattoo! I knew someday I would be going back!




At 24, I was going through a really hard time in my life. It just seemed no matter how hard I tried, I just wasn't getting anywhere. I thought of a tattoo I wanted right then and there and went to her studio hoping she could fit me in. She could! I now have the word "Breathe" on my wrist, to remind me to take time for myself and to relax. Above it are three little stars that represent my grandfather, grandmother and my dear friend Anita who past away.


A couple of months later, I was sitting at home thinking that I really wanted to have a tattoo that represented Aaron without putting his name on me. I thought of the poem that was read at our wedding "Ever Thine, Ever Mine, Ever Ours" and made an appointment. So far it is my favorite to date. I have star bursts around it to represent our wedding colours. They were gold, silver and white. She mixed up a few colours and it looked amazing!



Do you plan on getting more: Yes I do. I want to get one on my foot. Little nervous about that one because I heard it hurts but I have a really good idea of what I want. I would like one on my shoulder someday, and that will be it for me.

How does your family/friends react to your tattoos? Have you experience any negativity?: Most of my family and friends are supportive, they usually like my ideas and think they are pretty. My mom isn't a big fan of tattoos though. It usually takes her awhile to come around, but then she is okay with it.
I really haven't experienced any negativity towards my tattoos except the occasional eye roll from mom and her asking "why??" I think tattoos are a way of expressing yourself and they are beautiful works of art. I hear some people ask, "what about when you get older? It's permanent!!!" They are reminders of where you have been and how far you have come. Also, someday your grandchildren will think you are pretty hip! :)

Advice to others who are thinking about getting a tattoo who haven't yet: Think long and hard before you do get a tattoo. Ask yourself, when I'm 65, will I still love this?? Also do your research! Don't just go to the only tattoo shop in your town just because it is there. I made that mistake the first time around. Lesson learned. Talk with your tattoo artist, build a rapport and be on the same page. This is something that will be with you the rest of your life, make sure you love it. Listen to your friends horror stories, but always remember everyone is different and what was painful for them might not be painful for you or vice versa!


:)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Megan! It's Sarah :)

    I had no idea you had the tiara and star tattoo! They're awesome. What are your plans for the foot tattoo? Mine tickled a lot - no pain! :)

    Ink Mark offers $10 surprise tattoo's, so Lisha & I couldn't pass up that opportunity... we went yesterday & each got one on our asses, haha. Mine says "Smart" & her's says "Candy". All in fancy writing! Gotta have a good sense of humor for them. ;)

    ReplyDelete