Thursday 14 July 2011

Tattoo Thursday! Vol.2



Name: Melora. Her blog:   http://andshewashorrid.blogspot.com/    Check it out! :)

Age: 24

How Old Were You When You Got Your First Tattoo: 16

Favorite Tattoo: Mermaid thigh piece

Artist/Shop/Location: Danielle/ImpactArt/Yarmouth, NS (I've also had tattoos by Mark/InkMark's Tattooing/Yarmouth, NS and a lovey girl with dreads whose name I can't remember/Irezumi Ink/Melbourne, Australia)

How Many Tattoos Do You Have: 8

Story Behind Each Tattoo:My first tattoo was a fairy, that I got between my shoulder blades. I originally got the tattoo as a reminder to keep myself young at heart and not grow up to fast. I've always believed in the mystical and supernatural and magical and it was a way to remind myself of that. Being almost 9 years old, it's quite faded and looks a bit shitty now, and I may cover it up in the not to distant future. I don't regret getting it, I only wish I wouldn't have used up such a prime piece of real estate on my body with my first tattoo.



Next came my floral design on my upper arm. The original drawing came from album art of The Used. It represents the importance that music has been in my life, helping me get through some really tough times. It's in desperate need of repair and with a bit of work I think it could be great.


Then I got my heart shaped lock and key on my inner upper arm. This is when I decided that I wanted a half sleeve. The lock and key represent the love in my life. I don't throw my heart around to just anyone, they really have to earn it and at the time, someone very special had.

My girly anchor came next. I got this tattoo on the inside of my forearm and it represents home to me. It's a symbol of where I grew up, in a tiny fishing community with the ocean as my front yard. I recently got this tattoo fixed and added to, because my first five tattoos were done by someone who was chosen solely because they were the only artist around (this is NOT a good idea). This tattoo went from being okay to being one of my favorites. I added the word 'wanderlust' because I am constantly dreaming of travelling this big world but the anchor is always there to bring me back home.



The branch/flowers on my right foot came next. This tattoo hurt the most but was bearable, and I got this during a time in my life when a lot of things were changing. I was growing and realizing more and more who I was as a person. It represents that growth.

The next tattoo I got was done in Australia. It's a teapot taken from a vintage crochet pattern and was inspired by my mom, who is an avid tea drinker and collector of teapots. This tattoo is most people's favorite and is also the most expensive tattoo I've ever gotten.



After that came my hummingbird. When I was young, my grandmother and I were extremely close and she always had hummingbirds fluttering around her house. It's something I'll always remember from my youth and after she passed away when I was 11, I grabbed tight to anything that would remind me of her. I think about her every single day.



I received my latest tattoo yesterday and it is my absolute favorite piece. I got a mermaid done in the style of a Valerie Vargas gypsy girl. It takes up quite a large portion of my thigh and took roughly three hours to complete. For now it's just the black outline but I will probably getting it colored at some point in the future.



Do You Plan On Getting More: ABSOLUTELY. I think tattoos are a beautiful form of self expression and they intrigue me.

How does your family/friends react to your tattoos? Have you experience any negativity?: My parents/family are all really supportive. They've always loved tattoos as an art form and so they thought it was great when I started getting them done. People in general are good about them, but I do get quite a few questions (which I don't mind.) I also get a lot of "you're going to regret that someday" and "what about when your old and wrinkly" (which I DO mind.) It's my body and what I do with it is no one's business but my own.


Advice to others who are thinking about getting a tattoo who haven't yet: Don't let your fear of the pain deter you, it's rarely as bad as people tell you, also pain is part of the game and I feel as though it's a way of earning your tattoo. Think it through, this is permanent, it's not like a piercing you can take out when you grow up or it goes out of style. Also, don't let the price of a tattoo deter you either. The price is often times indicative of the quality of work. This is the only thing you will ever purchase in this lifetime that will be with you everyday for the rest of your life and you will carry to the grave with you.


Thanks again Melora, for letting me share this! Your tattoos are amazing and I love hearing the stories behind each one!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for letting me a part of this. :) Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete